Saturday, October 15, 2005

External Hard Drive

I've been in the hunt for a good, low cost, external hard drive for a little while. I've been doing the usual debate of exactly what I should get and was looking at everything from tiny cheap units, to larger networked items. I finally decided on getting a Maxtor 200Gb unit.



So far it's worked very well. Setup was a breeze and the speed is pretty good. I can honestly use it for more then just backing up data. I've been putting the files that I transfer from TiVo (see my review) there and it works great transfering the files for viewing back. No delays are seen and it still leaves my main hard drive running pretty light so I can be doing other things with that.

I did a full backup from my desktop to it the other night and it did take a while, but we're talking about copying an awful lot of data so I didn't really mind. I'll probably change the settings in the near future so that it only backs up my relevant data and not the entire program files of things that I could just reinstall if I ever needed too. (No sense in backing up hundreds of megabits of graphics from MS Flight Simulator and such.)

So overall a decent product. If anyone has suggestions on similar products let me know. I'll probably be getting another one in the near future if I keep finding stuff that I just can't live without in the digital world!!!

-Kent

No comments: